5,4,3,2,1…Happy New Year (again)!
To those who’ve only just returned to their inboxes, we’ve officially decided that 2021 begins today.
From vaccines arriving to Trump departing, the first few days of January have already been pretty wild, which is why we’re saying screw it; let’s buckle up and give it another go.
Take it from those of us who’ve been at it since last Monday, getting back into things is tough. Tougher than expected, but you’ll get there. We all will. And if you woke up this morning with the full intent to hit the ground running on your first day back, you’re forgiven if by 4:55 you’re still trying to figure out what the heck it is you do again…
If you’ve already set a few productivity goals and have managed to stick to them so far, well done! But if you need a little help in making 2021 a little easier, here’s a handful of resources and tips that might help it be your best do-over year yet:
- As Warren Buffet says, “An idiot with a plan can beat a genius without one.” If you’re not sure where to start, it’s time to get a plan. Baby steps: start with a basic vision board. With a promise to focus on quality instead of churning content, here’s what we came up for ours. What would you add to yours?
- The chaos of 2020 taught us that staying organised is important. With 2021 set to be another bumpy ride, here’s some solid advice from our favourite productivity guru, Seth Godin, on how mode switching breaks our rhythm.
- Running webinars in 2021? The team at ON24 is hosting a virtual session, ‘5 Webinar Rules to Break in 2021’, on 20 Jan to help us re-imagine what these virtual experiences could look like in the new year.
- Instead of 2021 resolutions, how about agreements? These Five Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz might be the exact thing you need to hear to rewrite the story of what is going on around you.
- Need practical help with your spelling and grammar this year? We absolutely adore Grammarly but we’ve also discovered the Hemingway App which will make your sentences even clearer.
Pay it forward and share something you learnt from our Monday Musings with your team. If you don’t have one already, set up a channel for this on Teams or Slack – where you can pose questions for your team.
Here’s this week’s top quote to put in your pocket for the new year…
With a new year comes new ideas. We’ve decided to add a weekly Marketing Musings story with practical examples of the good, bad and ugly from the world of marketing and communications.
The future of social is private and in this week’s post, we’re tackling the importance of Facebook Groups, WhatsApp, Snapchat, etc. where communities are having conversations about you (and your brand) when you’re not in the room.
What the world has been musing over this week:
Family travel in 2021
Here’s a great read from National Geographic on seven trends shaping family travel.
What do you want to watch?
Spend more time searching for good things to watch on Netflix than actually watching them? Try this nifty randomiser tool next time you stream.
From Cape to Rio
Need inspiration to get moving? Zirk Botha is currently rowing from Cape Town to Rio, fuelled on pure ballie strength.
While we’re experiencing a second nationwide alcohol ban, limited beach access, ‘Merica is also having a tough time with MAGA supporters wreaking havoc at Capitol Hill alongside this infamous Jamiroquai look alike.
We’ve got the facts!
We’re always harping on about how travel makes you happier. Here’s the official study that proves it.
Taking leave in 2021?
Saffas are getting two extra public holidays in 2021. Yes please!
Last week our very own Big Ambitions director, Natalia Rosa unpacked how the travel customer has changed, listing 10 things that we can count on as travel experts going into 2021.
Conspiracy theorists assemble! Alibaba founder, Jack Ma, still AWOL after speaking out about the CCP. Yikes.
The pandemic isn’t over. There are days of hardship still to come, but, eventually, it may be just a happy new year after all.